Welcome to Bklyn Bakes!

Welcome to Bklyn Bakes! I'm Randi, your hostess and baker! I've been baking since I could stand, and I was trained by the master chef herself, my mamaw (that's grandmother for those of you who grew up above the Mason Dixon Line). I figured it was time to spread the love around this big city!

Here's our current menu. I'm open to meeting your various baking needs, though, so feel free to email me at randiskaggs@gmail.com and tell me what you're thinking!

BKLYN BAKES MENU

Available as Round Layer Cakes, Rectangular Sheet Cakes or Cupcakes:

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Icing .. $30
Yellow Cake with Buttercream or Chocolate Icing .. $30
Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Icing .. $35
Banana Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing .. $40
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing .. $40
German Chocolate Cake .. $40

Extra-large sheet pan of any cake (feeding 30+), please add $10.

Sold by the Batch:
Chocolate Cherry Bars .. $25
Creme de Menthe Brownies (contain alcohol) .. $30
Standard Brownies or Blondies .. $20
Snow Bars (White chocolate bars with raspberry filling) .. $20
Cookies (chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, peanut butter) .. $20
Mamaw's No-Bake Cookies (piles of delicious chocolate, peanut butter and oatmeal) .. $15

Coffee Cakes and Breads:
Banana Bread (with or without chocolate chips and nuts) .. $20 for 2 loaves
Zucchini Bread .. $20 for 2 loaves
Pumpkin Cake (with or without chocolate chips) .. $25
Rum Cake .. $35
Bailey's Irish Cream Cake .. $35

*** All our goods can be made with whole grain flour, if you prefer. Want an organic treat? Just add $10 onto the cost of the item!

Custom Bakes
I'd be happy to speak to you if you have a different baked good in mind. I'm polishing my skills as a decorator and love trying to mimic the work of the Ace of Cakes guys, to the best of my ability.

I promise I'll post some pictures of my work soon!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Baking: A Stress Reliever or Stress Inducer?




Things have been stressful at the Bklyn Bakes abode lately. I'm not going to go into details, but it's been rough.

I had an order to fulfill amidst our problems, though, and I was hoping it would take my mind off of things. Well...that's now how it worked.

I baked the cakes -- chocolate -- and in my naivete decided to try a new icing -- a meringue icing from Martha Stewart.

Thank God I made the icing the night before (which was, I will say, delicious), because it fell apart the next morning. As in separated into pure liquid and grainy solids.

So, amidst all our other problems, I had to throw out 6 eggs worth of icing (eggs are expensive, you know) and start from scratch.

I was lucky that I had tons of butter and powdered sugar on hand, because I just whipped up my grandmother's fluffy vanilla frosting and decorated the cake in a flash.

I'm still working on my decorating, but I think this is a big improvement. And I'm proud that I pulled it off while in the midst of turmoil.

I'm still working on letting baking be my therapy. But too often, I mess up and make silly mistakes when I'm stressed out. Well, as they say, practice makes perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment